Spain’s only private, not for profit accelerator focused on social impact, Ship2B, is holding multiple open calls for its accelerator programs incluidng Tech4Climate, Tech4Social, Tech4Health, and more.
Ship2B has both a private, not for profit accelerator consisting of labs for social impact, as well as an investment arm that is supported in part by the European Commission.
Read More: Ship2B leads funding rounds of 3 Spanish social impact startups with €1.8M
Here is a look at some of the Ship2B acceleration programs that are currently holding open calls.
Tech4Climate is holding its open call until February 10, 2019.
Tech4Climate selects the best projects that want to go beyond economic profitability, seeking to positively impact our society through the improvement of the environment, favoring sustainability, quality of life and healthy environments.
Read More: How Kualito is looking to blockchain to create new food industry business models
Projects and technologies will be valued as well as the ability of the team to promote a sustainable company.
The program is looking for projects and startups focusing on:
- Responsible consumption and efficient management of resources such as water and energy.
- Solutions to mitigate or adapt to climate change.
- The biodiversity, sustainability and resilience of cities.
- More sustainable solutions for agriculture and livestock.
- The generation of energy from clean sources or waste.
- Models of circular economy and ecodesign to improve sustainability.
- Healthy and sustainable lifestyles.
- Employment for vulnerable groups in green industries.
- Synergies with the partners co-founders of the LAB.
The Tech4Climate Lab offers strategic alliances with large companies in the sector, mentoring, opportunities to present your startup to a network of investors with more than 400 members, and access to the Equity4Good investment vehicle that provides €4 million to invest in impact startups.
Tech4Social, is an innovation and social impact lab that improves the quality of life of elderly people and people with disabilities through technology.
With its open call running through February 10, 2019, the Tech4Social Lab has built an ecosystem where large companies, social organizations, experts and investors are present with the aim of promoting innovative projects focused on solving the challenges faced by the elderly and people with disabilities in their day to day.
The program is looking for projects and startups focusing on improving the autonomy of the elderly and people with disabilities through:
- Mobility and accessibility in urban and rural environments.
- The orientation and labor insertion.
- Reducing isolation and loneliness.
- Facilitating economic income in a scenario of life extension with an increase on their dependence, with a focus on education and financial inclusion.
- Including these groups in the day to day of society, improving their self-esteem, increasing their motivation to continue feeling useful and decreasing their possible cognitive and physical degeneration.
The Tech4Social Lab offers strategic alliances with large companies in the sector, mentoring, opportunities to present your startup to a network of investors with more than 400 members, and access to the Equity4Good investment vehicle that provides €4 million to invest in impact startups.
Tech4Health is the investment and acceleration platform for startups in the health sector, and it is holding its open call until February 10, 2019.
Its objective is to select the best projects in the health sector and offer support and strategic alliances with its ecosystem of companies and experts, and investment by its Equity4Good vehicle.
The program is looking for projects and startups focusing on:
- The improvement and customization of treatments.
- The monitoring and following of patients.
- Improving access to medical devices.
- Improving the diagnosis of diseases.
- Promoting healthy lifestyles.
- Encouraging adherence to treatments.
- Improving the standard of living for people with allergies and intolerances.
- Promoting innovation in drug delivery.
The Tech4Health Lab offers strategic alliances with large companies in the sector, mentoring, opportunities to present your startup to a network of investors with more than 400 members, and access to the Equity4Good investment vehicle that provides €4 million to invest in impact startups.
BBK Venture Philanthropy Program
The BBK Venture Philanthropy Program, promoted by BBK and Ship2B, aims to promote entrepreneurship and social and environmental impact investment in the province of Bizkaia.
The program is open until February 10, 2019.
The accompaniment and financing program will select 10 startups and intrapreneurs in social entities, with projects of social and environmental impact in Bizkaia, which will opt for personalized mentorship with experts, strategic alliances with sector organizations, online and offline training, network of investors and financing of up to €100,000.
The BBK Venture Philanthrophy Program is looking for projects with social and environmental impact that:
- Have a profitable or self-sustainable business model.
- Are based on an innovative idea.
- Achieve a high impact through scalability.
- Are driven by:
- Intrapreneurs of social entities
The philanthropy program offers strategic alliances with large companies in the sector, mentoring, access to the philanthropy venture fund with €100,000 driven by BBK, and access to the Equity4Good €4 million vehicle managed by Ship2B with the support of the FEI.
The Ship2B Foundation and the Banco Sabadell Foundation, together with the Juan Entrecanales de Azcárate Foundation, AFTERSHARE.TV and the PwC Foundation, are launching the 3rd edition of the transformation program B-Value aimed at non-profit social organizations that want to go towards professionalization and sustainability models.
The growing social and economic challenges, added to the financing difficulties of social organizations make it increasingly necessary to innovate and evolve towards new models of sustainability.
That is why these entities must design effective value propositions with sustainable business models and a measurable impact. They must also make strategic alliances of high added value for both parties.
The B-Value program is open until January 27, 2019 and is looking for entities that:
- Are non-profits throughout Spain (associations and foundations) that cater to any disadvantaged group.
- Are in any field of action (priority lines: social assistance and inclusion).
- Can dedicate time of a small team to professionalize and improve their value proposition.
- Have a preliminary idea of the innovative project they want to work on, or a project that they want to think through social innovation processes.
B-Value offers the support of experts to validate value propositions, diffusion in its channels and support for communication, and finalists will be eligible for pro-bono prizes and financial aid. It also offers strategic alliances with companies, insitutions and investors.
Spain’s only private, not for profit accelerator focused on social impact
Last July I had the chance to speak with Ship2B’s Tech4Climate Program Manager Juan Zaffora at Techstars Startup Weekend Social Impact Edition Barcelona where Zaffora was a judge.
Read More: Startup Weekend in Barcelona is over, keeping teams together is next challenge
“At Ship2B we are looking for startups with sustainable business models, economically speaking, but we also need startups that can solve specific problems,” said Zaffora at the time.
“We have two parts. We have an accelerator, which is a not for profit accelerator. That is very important because we are the only private, not for profit accelerator in Spain, with a focus on social impact.
“So, the acceleration is a not for profit, and we also have an investment fund, which is like a spinoff from the foundation of acceleration. So, we’re trying to develop this new funding. Two years ago we created a private investment fund focused on impact.
“So right now, we have 1 million euros more to invest, and this year we made an accord with the European investment fund and they are putting in three euros for every euro we are investing.”
A word from our Sponsor: Looking for Content Marketing support? Click here.